Xcaret, Riviera Maya , Mexico
Xcaret is a nature preserve in the heart of Cancun Mexico, about 10 miles from Riviera Maya. It is a place where the natural beauty of Mexico and the amazing cultural history blend. For a trip to Xcaret it is important to come with an open mind. Be ready for very unexpected experiences that diverge from the usual image of Mexico that tourists have. You will encounter Maya , Aztec and traditional Spanish village while in Xcaret. Be exposed to costumes and rituals that will blow your mind. Xcaret defines itself as an Echo Archeological Reserve. As a result, you will encounter ancient pyramids, sacred burial grounds, nature preserves and more. This means that you must be very respectful and mindful of your trash. Some of the ecological systems preserved in Xcaret are very frail and loitering could cause great harm. With that warning, lets take the Travel Expert's Guide to Xcaret, Mexico.
5 Must-See Attractions
- Manta Ray or Shark Encounter: The idea of swimming with mantas, or sharks might frighten most visitors. It is a once in a lifetime experience. Be warned that you will be using a diving bell to go under water to swim with these creatures so special precautions and instructions will be given to keep you safe. While the Mantas and Sharks are harmless, you must avoid poking them in the eye or stepping on them. Your phone camera will be useless at that pressure, bring a GoPro that can withstand the pressure. A guide will also be taking photos underwater so no camera is needed, enjoy the rays. To give you an idea of what the diving bells will be like here is a photo.
- Temazcal:Before talking about the Temazcal, a few warnings. It is not for the faint of heart, or those who have fear of enclosed spaces. Heart conditions will be worsen by the extreme heat, but for those who can make it all the way, it is life-changing. To begin, the Temazcal is a Maya Ritual done by warriors before battle. It is a purification ritual. This is a religious ritual, and as such, must be done with respect. The person performing the ritual is a shaman so ,if you do decide to partake, you must show the proper respect. The Temazcal involves a purification ritual and then you will be placed with the shaman in an underground cavern: with nothing but a bonfire in the center. He will then begin a very solemn ceremony using rituals and scented herbs. The Ceremony will be wet and very steamy. I suggest leaving your camera and your tourist caps behind. I have no photos of the ritual inside the cavern for obvious reasons.
- Underground River: To reach the heart of Xcaret you will have to swim for over 30 minutes in an underground river full of bats and fishes and nature. You will experience xcaret's amazing fauna.
- Sacred Mayan Journey: Travel on a typical Maya canoe with Maya decedents thru a sacred gauntlet of rivers and rapids.
- Haciendas:A Small Pueblo within Xcaret with Maya Descendants , a Maya Pueblo and More.
- Mechica Folk Art Museum : Zipline through a number of different course options, grab lunch, and enjoy the ocean at the end of the day.
- The Hall of Whispers: A small Church with an angular dome that causes all sounds to bounce and reflect, creating strange whispers although. At the center it creates a harmonic resonance that drowns all sound.
- Bridge to Paradise: This unique architectural work has a special significance that simulates a hill with seven levels, referring to the days of the week.
- Horseback Riding: Ride through the jungle or along the beaches around Cancun on horseback.
- Mayan Village:Walk through the abundant jungle of Xcaret and enter an ancient Mayan Village.
- Butterfly Pavilion: Visit Xcaret Nature Park to witness one of the greatest spectacles of nature!
- Aviary : Local Fauna Birds, Typical to Mexico. Intense colors and amazing sight. The Aviary is open so you will interact with the birds. There will be heights and waterfalls and bridges so be careful and mind your step. Playing on the wire bridge is NOT a good idea but someone always starts jumping around and making everyone dizzy. [gallery ids="6233,6232,6231"]
- Natural Museum of Orchids and Bromeliads: Look around and marvel at the diversity of orchids in our greenhouse, enjoy a tour of an attractive mosaic of colors, textures and aromas that make you feel in paradise.
- Jaguar Island: These impressive inhabitants of Xcaret Park can be found on an island located in the midst of the Mayan jungle and crystal clear rivers. The jaguars in Xcaret are always attentive to any movement and its strong presence can be felt while visiting their territory!
- Paradise River : We present a different option to enjoy the rivers of Xcaret and discover its stunning nature from the comfort of a small raft. [gallery ids="6224,6225,6226"]